On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 03:08:04 +0900, Hans Fugal <hans / fugal.net> wrote:

> I've tried the email list thing on gmail. At first it seemed good, but I
> soon realized it had some massive failings, for me. I don't mind not
> having threads in the initial view, but in the 'conversation view', I
> sorely miss threading. Reading a thread linearly doesn't cut it unless
> it's a linear thread. Some people apparently don't need to read a thread
> in logical order and are content to jump around in the thread in
> chronological or even no specific order. I get frustrated doing that - I
> need the context. Maybe it's because I have a deficient ability to
> maintain state in my head, or maybe I'm too impatient to want to figure
> out where I am in the thread now with other clues (e.g. quotations which
> I summarily ignore as much as possible).

Quotations can be used to bring up the context, but they are certainly
misused most of the time. I believe MS Outlook can be blamed on this,
since by default it top-posts the reply to a message. What I expected
from GMail was the ability to mark threads by using different colors
in a conversation, but I'm color-blind, so I don't care too much ;)

Regards,
Ed
--
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to
assume you're pretentious.