Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:
> I think that may have been the case a few years ago,

Although that may be true, I think that the present state of Ruby's
documentation is far from ideal. Newbies (like me) do not compare the
present state of affairs with how it used to be but compare it with the
availability and quality of documentation with Perl or Python. And both
languages are far superior in this respect.

Don't get me wrong. I've been busy with Ruby for a few weeks now. I like
the language and think the implementation is superb. The pickaxe book is
indeed excellent. On par with Learning Python (with better practical
examples) and probably a bit better than Learning Perl.

However, the reference documentation is of "irregular" quality at best.
The soap or socket modules are good examples. They are not documented at
all. For me these modules are not "less common"...

This is not to troll by the way. If I decide to stick around with Ruby
I;ll probably do my bit to help. But I do think that it's an issue
which should be taken seriously.