David G. Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 10:56:56AM +0900, David A. Black scribed:
>
> Buy/rent/borrow/beg the pickaxe book.  The class reference at the end is
> astoundingly useful.  Go for the 2nd edition if you have a choice,
> since it covers 1.8.
>
>   -Dave

I have a hardcopy of pickaxe 2nd edition (by Dave Thomas) and think it
is one of the best books covering a programming language.

IMHO, the freely available pickaxe book 1st edition is somewhat
overrated while the pickaxe book 2nd edition is underrated.  Maybe I'm
biased because I didn't start using Ruby until 1.8.

Is there an up-to-date comp.lang.ruby FAQ that mentions all the online
docs?  Maybe it should be automatically posted to this newsgroup on a
weekly or monthly basis.