Carl Youngblood wrote:

> The conversation system is not the same as a threaded view, by the
> way.  In the threaded view, you still have to wade through tons of
> unwanted/previously-seen material before you get to what you want.
> Thunderbird could really do well if they added something like this.
> It's probably patented though.

Some more clarification.  All the threaded views in email clients that
I've seen order threads by the date of the first message in the thread.
So if a new message comes in, it gets added to a thread that is halfway
down the list of threads.  Gmail always puts the conversations with the
most recent activity at the top of the list.  It is a very thoughtful
and intuitive interface, regardless of the privacy concerns, and other
programs would be wise to learn from it.