Jamis Buck wrote:

>>> Ok, I just can't stand it anymore. I'm not necessarily interested in
>>> an invite, but I'm dying to hear from those who have gmail accounts:
>>> what is it about gmail that you like so much? Or is it one of those
>>> things that you have to actually *try*, in order to understand, like
>>> dependency injection?
>>
>> On my box I have gobs of gigabytes for email storage, no ads
>> and a very fast interface via procmail, formail, mutt and grep.
>> I will not entrust a company with a service I can provide just
>> as good.  I will be the last one without a Google email address.
>

> Phew. Okay. For a minute there I thought I must be the only one
> skeptical of the "gmail hype". :)
>
> I, too, am quite happy with my existing email arrangement. That being
> the case, I suppose there is little (if any) reason for me to move to
> gmail.

One of the most innovative things that Gmail does is organize your
emails into conversations.  Rather than having 10 rows in your inbox for
a message, there is only one, and the messages are all shown in the same
view, one after another, with only the relevant (non-quoted) parts
shown.  You can expand the quoted portions if you want, but by default
they're off, so it is really good at cutting to the chase and showing
you only what you need to see in as compact a form as possible.

The conversation system is not the same as a threaded view, by the way.
In the threaded view, you still have to wade through tons of
unwanted/previously-seen material before you get to what you want.
Thunderbird could really do well if they added something like this.
It's probably patented though.

Carl