On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 05:27:44 +0900
"itsme213" <itsme213 / hotmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds from the discussion that we could benefit from a well thought out
> (and/or well described!) framework for a set of print-related methods. I
> know consistent use of these would help _me_ a lot.
>
> A naive (and incomplete and incorrect) example. Any resemblance to real Ruby
> methods is purely accidental.
>
> - #short: a context-insensitive short string (no newlines) identifying the
> object + class
> - #probe: 1-level deep object structure + #short descriptions of 2nd level,
> single line
> - #probe n: N-level deep object structure
> - #probe n Filter: N-level deep object structure only showing elements of
> Filter
> - #inspect: show full recursive object structure, ending at [String, Symbol,
> Int, ...]
> - #identify should show short string for object identification e.g. just a
> 'name' attribute
> - Object#short by default will print class name + #to_s
> - #to_s should ....
> - Object#inspect by default will ....
>
> Coming up with such a framework will take someone smarter than I.

Not exactly what you asked for, but you could try my attempt at an object
browser

http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/quiz/object_browser/

that allows you to drill as deep into the object as you want. For debugging of
complex structures it might be quite helpfull.

(Beware of its alpha status)

Regards,

Brian

--