David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
>> BUT
>>
>> 1. when starting the webrick from the command line, IT'S SLOW AS SNAIL
>> 2. when pointing to the http://localhost:3000/hello/index, IT SLOW AS
>>         SNAIL AS WELL. It takes at least 4 minutes to get the result.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>

> What kind of hardware are you running on? 4 minutes sound insane in any
> case, though.
>
> The reloading WEBrick dispatcher is indeed dog slow in 0.8.5 (around ~1
> second per reload on my G4 1.5ghz). This is being greatly remedied in
> the forthcoming 0.9.0 that's already available as beta gems right now.
>
> The new approach uses a two-tiered approach to requiring classes where
> your app is reloaded on every request, but the framework remains cached
> and the interpreter is reused. This is much, much more efficient and
> hence much faster.
>
> One guy reported going from 10s per page load to much less than a second
> on his G3 400mhz Mac.
>
> So if you don't find out what's screwing up your current installation,
> you might want to try out the beta gems. They can be fetched with:
>
> gem update -s http://gems.rubyonrails.org
>
> For convenience, there's even an executable start_server command in the
> root of new apps created with 0.9. Click that and the WEBrick server
> starts.
> --
> David Heinemeier Hansson,
> http://www.basecamphq.com/   -- Web-based Project Management
> http://www.rubyonrails.org/  -- Web-application framework for Ruby
> http://macromates.com/       -- TextMate: Code and markup editor (OS X)
> http://www.loudthinking.com/ -- Broadcasting Brain

Hi David, I'm running PIII/800MHz laptop. Perhaps I did exagerate a bit,
but not much. It takes at least 3 minutes for the sample page to come up
and it will take just as long to reload/refresh the same page. Plus,
starting up the "ruby dispatch.servlet -a" takes at least 1 minutes.

I will try what you suggested by updating it to the latest beta.

Thanks