> BUT
>
> 1. when starting the webrick from the command line, IT'S SLOW AS SNAIL
> 2. when pointing to the http://localhost:3000/hello/index, IT SLOW AS
>         SNAIL AS WELL. It takes at least 4 minutes to get the result.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

What kind of hardware are you running on? 4 minutes sound insane in any
case, though.

The reloading WEBrick dispatcher is indeed dog slow in 0.8.5 (around ~1
second per reload on my G4 1.5ghz). This is being greatly remedied in
the forthcoming 0.9.0 that's already available as beta gems right now.

The new approach uses a two-tiered approach to requiring classes where
your app is reloaded on every request, but the framework remains cached
and the interpreter is reused. This is much, much more efficient and
hence much faster.

One guy reported going from 10s per page load to much less than a
second on his G3 400mhz Mac.

So if you don't find out what's screwing up your current installation,
you might want to try out the beta gems. They can be fetched with:

gem update -s http://gems.rubyonrails.org

For convenience, there's even an executable start_server command in the
root of new apps created with 0.9. Click that and the WEBrick server
starts.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basecamphq.com/   -- Web-based Project Management