"Lothar Scholz" <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:13616401843.20041201132350 / scriptolutions.com...

> RK>  - the profiler does take away some performance already and I
suspect this
> RK> feature would lead to even greater slowdown.
>
> Even at the moment the profiler is at a proof of concept level and
absolute
> unusable in programs that do a little bit more then "puts 'hello
> world'". It slows down a program by at least a factor 50.
>
> Every solution that is based on "set_trace_func" is in my opinion just
> rubbish. try this with an empty proc and see how it slows down the
> program and you will understand.

I *have* in fact used the profiler already.  I would not go so far as to
call it "rubbish".  It has its use although I'd readily admit that it's
limited.  But it's not rubbish.  Java's hprof with cpu=times has similar
bad impacts on overall performance but it is useful in certain situations.
(I admit though that I use cpu=samples most of the time :-))

Kind regards

    robert