----- Original Message -----
From: Tomoyuki Kosimizu <greentea / fa2.so-net.ne.jp>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 9:59 AM
Subject: [ruby-talk:01216] Re: Tk widget demo; English Tk docs?; Java
1.2Swing

> Hi,
>
> From: "Conrad Schneiker" <schneiker / jump.net>
> Subject: [ruby-talk:01215] Tk widget demo; English Tk docs?; Java 1.2
Swing
> Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 03:26:40 -0600
>
> > (1) Although I can run some of the simple Ruby/Tk demos (under AIX
4.3.2),
> > when I try to run the widget demo, all I get is a blank window with a
"File"
> > label in the upper left corner. Does this work for other people? Could
this
> > involve some problem with extended character sets?
>
> How about Mr.Tateishi's demo?
>
> http://kt-www.jaist.ac.jp:8000/~ttate/ftp/ruby-tk81-demos-1.1.tar.gz

Unfortunately I didn't save the tar file, but I believe that these are the
same Tk demos that I already have, since the directory name I have is very
similar to the tar file name. I also noticed that I was using Tk8.2, not
Tk8.1, which might also cause problems.

> > (2) Is there any English Ruby/Tk documentation?
>
> I couldn't find.

Thanks for checking.

> > (3) Has anyone developed a means to access Java 1.2 (in particular Swing
> > stuff) from Ruby? And if so, is there any English documentation about
this?

> Mr.Maeda worked with Ruby/Java. But the project is pending
> (forever?).

Guess I will have to use Tk for now.

Maybe Ruby will overtake Java before a good Ruby/Java link is developed.

Does anyone have any idea what it would take to develop "Ruby beans" that
would work like Java beans, so that we could make very sophisticated Ruby
IDE's (perhaps using Gnome instead of Swing for GUI support)?

If Ruby were to overtake Perl some day and if Ruby started to catch up with
Java in number of users, would Matz (and others, if any, that provide
substantial help with Ruby development) support ISO standarization of Ruby?