Since you mention being new to cgi, and have doning some php, I'm
guessing you aren't using the ruby script in the right directory, or
using the right url to call it, or are missing some boilerplate.

Ruby and php are not directly equivalent. If you've only installed
ruby,  you need to put the ruby script into your cgi-bin directory,
since cgi is how you would call it.

e.g.
http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.rb

would be the right url for a file in the apache cgi-bin directory.

Also, you may need to put some http boilerplate.
test.rb
======
#!/usr/local/bin/ruby
print "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n"
print "hello"

On Apache on OS X, I need the second line for it to work. The first line
is Unix specific, and won't apply to Windows.

There is also a cgi module to help with many common cgi tasks that you
can look at.

If you want to use ruby in the same way as Php, you need to install
mod_ruby and eruby:
    http://www.modruby.net/en/

Then you can create files like index.rhtml, and use embedded ruby code,
much like how php works. This may be your best starting point if you
like the php method.

Or install a web framework like rails, iowa, arrow, etc, and follow
their conventions.

Regards,
Nick