On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:14:59 +0900
Brian Schröäer <ruby / brian-schroeder.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:32:13 +0900
> Glenn Parker <glenn.parker / comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> > > I find #one quite uncompelling,
> > > because it sounds like #any: it doesn't express its one_and_only_one
> > > meaning.
> >
> > Instead of "one", why not "lone", e.g. The Lone Ranger?
> >
> Why not #scalar as it returns the scalar value of the array if the array is a 1-tuple.

Sorry for the noise, I read the rejection further down only after sending this. (Though I still think #to_scalar more natural than #one, because #one does not convey a clear meaning to me)

e.g.

[].one => 1 (It returns one?)
[].one => true (It is only one array?)
[:a,:b,:c,:d].one => [1,1,1,1] (Fill with ones?)

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröäer