* Nicholas Van Weerdenburg <nick / activehitconsulting.com> [1108 02:08]:

> What would the relationship be between Struts (servlet-based) and FCGI
> (cgi container)?
>
> Also, Struts is actually pretty lightweight- it doesn't really do that
> much. I'd expect you had another issue?

Well, I'll leave aside the lightweightness of Struts, I never got into it
enough to know better - it was a 12Mb download last time I looked though.

I'm really talking about performance in development on rails and
tomcat, the bottleneck in question with struts development is jsp
compilation as far as I can make out. I always quite liked the servlet API,
but JSPs (which is where struts focusses, that and custom taglibs).

The jsp two-step compile has always been a bit of a kludge IMO,
I always wonder whose idea that was....

(I know technically you could use something else for the view, but this is
'hello world' we're talking about now....)

But it's the same fundamental problem, how often you poll for code changes.
I remember Ara or Carl (on that rubygarden fastcgi page) had a trick that
let your fastcgi classes detect when their *.rb file had changed and reload
themselves, I'm assuming that might have benn involved here.

--
zzz..Kill all humans. Kill all humans..zzz .....
I was having the most wonderous dream. You were in it. - Bender