> Sometimes it seems to be a little bit slow, but the time I need to
> develop a
> small webapplication is really short. And: Ruby and rails are just at
> the
> beginning. The performance will be more and more better in the future.

The next release is a MAJOR step forward in the speed department for
development. It used to be that Rails was pretty slow for development
(~1 reg/sec), but then really fast in production.

Now with advances in library management, it's possible to use FCGI,
mod_ruby, and cached WEBrick for development. This means that its MUCH,
MUCH faster. Really a joy to work with. I can't wait to get 0.9 out
with it.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basecamphq.com/   -- Web-based Project Management