Dave Burt wrote:

>>Sure. This type of framework would be more flexible, but what about
>>the people who use different languages? I definiately don't want to
>>embed/use a ruby based gui frame work. Eclipse is an abomination
>>to any work for me. This type of framework you describe can be
>>real bothersome to people. There is no way to tackle the issue of GUIs
>>because everybody has thier own choice. (ex. BSD vs. Linux) I could argue
>>all day about the annoyances in each and every GUI toolkit out there,
>>even WideStudio. The GUI toolkit choice is up to the user, if the develoer
>>has a disagreement with design in the code... send patches. There is no
>>thing as a perfect toolkit.
>>
>>David Ross
>>

>I disagree that it's unhelpful.
>
>Look at Swing - a minimum of native components, with many lightweight
>widgets based on these. This means loose binding to the platform and hence
>better/easier portability.

I've to agree with everybody else on this small fact. Swing is slow
as molasses, and everyone that creates a big apps with Java using
guis knows how slow Java can be. I believe that MagicDraw UML is
the program which is offering thier apps in a Java to C++ compiler
due to the slowness of Java, the Swing is so bloated the program
operates so slow its terrifying.

* all references to Java refer to Sun's slow implementation

>Such a system would become a natural choice over existing frameworks for
>all-Ruby projects.
>
>Obviously, for projects that include Python, C, whatever, you're right that
>it's not ideal. I'm not sure how important this is, although, thinking about
>Java, it may be more important than I have considered it.
>
>I think I'd vote for XML-based systems (XUL or XAML) to deal with these
>problems rather well, if I had any experience with them.

I've looked into XUL, and used it some. Its great for RAD. I've only
used it in small projects with mozilla. There is actually a XUL generator
for Python, but some people don't want thier apps open-source.
Yes yes, ruby isnt byte encoded, but one could create the lib to
the gui in another lanauge  and link/load.

>What about an XUL-interpreting framework for Parrot?

*grin*

>Cheers,
>Dave

David Ross