> Sure. This type of framework would be more flexible, but what about
> the people who use different languages? I definiately don't want to
> embed/use a ruby based gui frame work. Eclipse is an abomination
> to any work for me. This type of framework you describe can be
> real bothersome to people. There is no way to tackle the issue of GUIs
> because everybody has thier own choice. (ex. BSD vs. Linux) I could argue
> all day about the annoyances in each and every GUI toolkit out there,
> even WideStudio. The GUI toolkit choice is up to the user, if the develoer
> has a disagreement with design in the code... send patches. There is no
> thing as a perfect toolkit.
>
> David Ross

I disagree that it's unhelpful.

Look at Swing - a minimum of native components, with many lightweight
widgets based on these. This means loose binding to the platform and hence
better/easier portability.

Such a system would become a natural choice over existing frameworks for
all-Ruby projects.

Obviously, for projects that include Python, C, whatever, you're right that
it's not ideal. I'm not sure how important this is, although, thinking about
Java, it may be more important than I have considered it.

I think I'd vote for XML-based systems (XUL or XAML) to deal with these
problems rather well, if I had any experience with them.

What about an XUL-interpreting framework for Parrot?

Cheers,
Dave