Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> I wish people would stop exaggerating. Choosing the right job
> for the tool at hand results in a lot more working programs.
> Is Ruby broken because it's not Perl-compatible? Is Objective-C
> broken because it can't cope with C++ code?

Of course, the right tool for the right job, but what if I handed you a
screwdriver carved out of celery?  MySQL incorporates "SQL" in its name,
but it does not begin to implement the SQL that the vast majority of SQL
developers have accepted.  I wouldn't use MySQL as the standard of
comparison for the rest of the SQL world any more than I would try to
build a house using a child's scribbles.

In case it's not clear, I agree very strongly with Austin in this
debate.  SQL is a mature and well-documented language that deserves some
respect.  There is a great deal of power that can be leveraged by
embracing the SQL standard, and ignoring that standard is a wasted
opportunity.

On the other hand, Rails is young and growing, and we shouldn't be too
discouraging just because the author can't fix everything at once.  :)
I would venture to guess that case-sensitivity in table names is not a
very hard problem to deal with.  If I can figure it out, I'll do what I can.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoil.com/>