David Ross wrote:
> Michael Neumann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> With DragonFlyBSD (www.dragonflybsd.org) it's now possible to
>> checkpoint processes. That means, that you can store a dump of the
>> running application to disk, from which you can resume later on
>> (possibly on another machine). I mention this, because it's especially
>> interesting for Web frameworks like Wee or Borges, which use
>> Continuations and Threads, that are not marshallable (but
>> checkpointable ;-).
>>
>> I've made a Ruby module around the sys_checkpoint syscall. You can
>> find the module here:
>>
>>   http://www.ntecs.de/viewcvs/viewcvs/DragonFly/checkpoint/
>>
>> Of course, you have to restore sockets, pipes etc. on resume yourself.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>   Michael
>>

> I'm glad there are others who appreciate BSDs. What made you interested?

In BSD in general or in DragonFly? Well, with DragonFly it's a bit like
with Ruby. You can get easily responses from it's creator (indeed, it's
easier to get a response from Matt than from Matz ;-), and problems are
solved mostly very quickly. You know where to asks, community is small
and friendly.

But most importantly, I dropped FreeBSD 5.3, as it paniced on Monday 3
times in a row (maybe it's not FreeBSD's fault, but *I* encountered a
lot of crashes in the 5.x line). Now, I'll count every crashes of
DragonFly. Zero up to now ;-)

And of course the ideas behind DragonFly are IMHO superior. I am happy
each time when Matt has removed a lot of code (rewrote it) or made the
API much simpler.

Regards,

   Michael