If you want to see some heavy lua work in action check out the today
released World of warcraft. A massive multiplayer game by blizzard.
It comes with an interface.zip containing all graphics and source for
its ( enormous ) gui. Widgets, dialogs and forms are all declared as
XML with logic written in lua.
The entire gui is opensource and people have been doing great things
with it. For example during beta people deviced an ingame auction
system system which blizzard promptly adopted, beefed up and put in
the core game.
I would love to know what other parts of the game are written in lua
on the server side.

--
Tobi
http://blog.leetsoft.com