On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:53:18 +0900, Mark VanOrman wrote

>  I'm about to embark on a large scale project. It's basically a
> rewrite of a current application that processes e-commerce
> transactions. (sending cc info to bank platforms, creating records
> in db, handling reporting and the like. Average load is about 50,000
> transactions/day). The current application is written in PHP as a
> cgi script. Mod_php is installed on apache for speed. The main
> reason for the rewrite is the code clutter and really bad design.

50k transactions per day is no problem.  Even for large pages of dynamic
content, on older, slower hardware, this should be no problem.

> 1- can Ruby handle such a mission critical applications as far as
> reliability and speed?

Sure.  My livelyhood comes from Ruby web apps that just have to work, and it
has for more than 2.5 years, now.

> 2- Are there any benchmarks out there that compare PHP to Ruby?

I have no idea.  That's like comparing hot dogs to apples, though.  The
other variables -- what sort of database interactivity and how much, what
front end web server, using any specific frameworks, etc.... all will have
an effect on any such benchmark.

> 3- From your experiance, would you think it's better to develop an
> application like this as a cgi(people would post transes to apache)
>  or as a standalone server(post directly to ruby)?

That is hard to say from that very brief description of the application.  I
am biased toward solutions that involve a process running independently from
the web server, though.

> 4- Anyone out there with a similar experiance?

Some.  I have a bunch of web stuff for mutual funds, some of which interacts
with data from the bank.  All of it is done in Ruby.  In my case, using IOWA
(http://enigo.com/projects/iowa) for my web development framework.

Thanks,

Kirk Haines