Ruby is much faster than PHP when objects are involved. FastCGI rails
outperforms mod_php in my tests by a bit.

Also it seems that there are several VM's being made for ruby which
could improve the performance even more in the near future.

With 50k transactions a day i doubt you will hit any performance
problems unless you use CGI.

--
Tobi
http://blog.leetsoft.com