Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Mark VanOrman wrote:
>>1- can Ruby handle such a mission critical applications as far as
>>reliability and speed?
>>
>>2- Are there any benchmarks out there that compare PHP to Ruby?
>>
>>3- From your experiance, would you think it's better to develop an
>>application like this as a cgi(people would post transes to
>>apache) or as a
>>standalone server(post directly to ruby)?
>

> If you use Ruby on Rails (http://rubyonrails.org/), you can prototype the
> critical pieces of your application *very* quickly. This would allow you to
> measure the performance directly and quickly determine whether or not your
> critical issues are going to be a problem. Its better to know than to guess
> (especially when you can do so with very little investment of time).

How does Rails do on speed?  I recall a thread here some months ago on
this, with doubts on Rails response time.  I've been trying out a small
app using Rails, and I'm struck by how long to takes to do trivial
searches (basically, my app is essentially the Friends/Phones example in
the rubyonrails.org site tutorial).

Now, I've been largely following the tutorial, cutting and pasting code,
and tweaking things around to get a better sense of how Rails works.
There may be any number of parameters or settings I can change to
improve things, and I've not written a non-Rails MySQL version for
comparison, so all of my benchmarks are, um, vague and based largely on
intuition.  I've run the Rails code as both CGI and under WEBrick (the
two options I have for production), and no have to starting looking how
to speed things up.  (Or go back to my initial Madeleine approach.)

If someone is heading off to write a speed-critical app on Rails, what
are some things to do right off the top to avoid false impressions about
speed?

Thanks,

James