On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:43:42 +0900, Curt Sampson <cjs / cynic.net> wrote:
> Well, this is a problem we solved forty years ago when Codd came up with
> the idea of relational databases. So, has anybody built some sort of
> relational storage system for Ruby that will let me describe my data in
> some sort of E/R-ish way and get stuff out from any direction I care to use?

I am have code-in-progress that is destinied to do this - an
implementation of the relational algebra directly in Ruby.  At the
moment it is generating SQL and I'm working on implementing full
support for relational difference.  When I've got the SQL generation
down, I was planning to use those tests to "lock down" aspects of the
functionality, and then mutate the code to support more table types
and doing operations across table types.

I unfortunately lack any date for when this will be finished; there's
two or three fairly large "chunks" between here and there (difference
implementation, possibly divide implementation, refactoring to support
in-memory tables), and there's a lot of things going on in my life at
the moment.

Eivind.
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?