On Friday, November 19, 2004, 1:28:14 AM, George wrote:

> Hello everyone,

> I would like to know the standard way to include code from
> other people in one's project. Lets say I would like to
> include dev-utils in the Nitro distribution.

> For the .gem distribution, things are simple, I just include
> an s.add_dependency line in the Rakefile.

> How should I do it in the .tar.gz distribution? Options
> are:

> - Inform the user in the README to manually donwload and install
> dev-utils.
> - Inlcude the dev-utils distribution in a vendor directory
> (vendor/dev-utils).

My inclination would be to just inform the user of the dependency.
Why make more work for yourself, when gems and RPA are there to make
life easy for all parties?

But a vendor directory is perfectly reasonable.  It depends on the
target audience, and probably other things.  E.g. even as a developer
who's happy setting up packages etc., I'm glad Instiki works out of
the box.

Cheers,
Gavin