I'm trying to build tools for installing and managing a large number
(possibly several hundred) PCs running Linux here at work.  Naturally, I
intend to write most of the tools in ruby, store data in YAML format and
use Rails for the web interfaces.  The first step in this process is to
build a bootable diskette that will bring the machine up as a "diskless"
workstation and inspect the hardware configuration before trying to do an
installation.  While I know I can look through /proc, I'm wondering if
there are easier ways of gathering this information in a form suitable for
using programatically.  Ideas?

Your friendly neighborhood sysadmin,
-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts, it's what I can remember in time to use.