On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:28:14 +0900, Pete Johnson <news19 / tildium.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to use one of the Ruby IDE debuggers with Rails? I
> feel I'd be much more productive this way, but can't work out how
>    I can grab the process and attach to an IDE debugger.

I've been really digging the ArachnoRuby IDE lately
(http://www.ruby-ide.com). It's still beta, and it has a few quirks at
this point (mainly related to the way it auto-indents code), but it's
the only full-fledged Ruby IDE out there that's really worth the
trouble at this point.

You can debug Rails apps with ArachnoRuby. It's not 100%
straight-forward, though. First, if you're using Gems, you'll have to
edit the ArachnoRuby preferences and add the GEM_PATH variable to
point to your gems directory. I honestly don't know _why_ this is
necessary (as in, why ArachnoRuby doesn't detect this automatically,
since the regular ruby interpreter has no problem with it), but if you
don't, you'll get errors about missing gems.

Then you can simply set up a debug target using dispatch.rb and set up
GET CGI variables for controller, action, etc. It has an interface for
setting all of this up.

I'd recommend checking it out. If you have any problems getting the
debugging to work, I'm happy to help as far as I'm able.

--
Regards,
John Wilger

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland