Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> writes:

> It's not unlikely at all, actually.  Test cases are a clearly a good
> way to set up the conditions you need to expose a bug.  That's when I
> tend to use breakpoints very often.

I think there are are least two common scenarios described here:

1. You want an assertion as kind of a "can't happen" test.
2. You want to set breakpoints to inspect the state.

In my opinion, the first is the traditional "assert" while the second is
similiar to BREAK in Common Lisp.  The former is useful in both test and
production code, while the latter only makes sense in test code.  These
are different, and should have different names:

- "assert" or similiar to die horriby (except maybe when $DEBUG is set)
- "breakpoint" or similiar to simply interrupt execution.

--
Bjn