On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 07:34:07AM +0900, Steven Jenkins scribed:

> I need a faster computer or a faster brain. I've got a brute force
> algorithm that appears to work, but it won't complete in anything like
> three minutes.

3 minutes is doable - you'll get it.  Mine takes either 110 seconds
or 11 seconds depending on the setting of the magic option that
might be a spoiler to talk about.  The difference between my
implementation's time and the previous poster's is probably due
more to machine speed differences than anything.

> I guess I won't reveal the number until tomorrow, but my count of the
> distinct calculation expressions you can form with six numbers and four
> operators (not accounting for commutativity) is uhh... big.

It's probably not giving too much away to say that the number is
still expressable as 32-bit integer.

Now if only I could figure out how to make the code more
elegant.  This is a terrible time-suck! :)

  -Dave

--
work: dga / lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga / pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/