On Nov 10, 2004, at 3:13 PM, primehalo / hotmail.com wrote:

> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> Ken Innes (primehalo / hotmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> primehalo / hotmail.com (Ken Innes) wrote in message
>>> news:<70452692.0411081519.60aa8c87 / posting.google.com>...
>>>
>>> I did more testing, and found that the path is getting truncated
>>> after
>>> "/bin:/usr". My .tcshrc looked like so:
>>
>> [path snippage]
>>
>>> I really don't understand this at all.
>>
>> A thought came up on IRC:
>>
>> Are you using RedHat's Ruby 1.4.6, or a hand-built one?  RedHat has
>> been
>> known to "fix" packages in the past.  Either tcsh or ruby may have
>> been
>> modified to give this behavior.  You can find a Ruby 1.4.6 source
>> tarball from a mirror off of ruby-lang.org.  (Holler if you can't find
>> it.)
>>
>> Second, are there any binaries or scripts in /usr?  It is unusual to
>> have anything other than directories in that path, perhaps your
>> version
>> of tcsh has a bug that truncates the path when nothing executable is
>> found?
>
> I originally installed the RedHat version of Ruby (ruby-1.4.6.tar.gz),
> then I switched to the Ruby that the original developers had included
> with the project (also ruby-1.4.6.tar.gz). I switched in hopes it would
> fix the problem, but it made no difference. There was nothing special
> about the install except that I had to specify host:
> % ./configure --host=i686-pc-linux
> % make
> % make test
> % make install
>
> How would I tell if tcsh was modified? I installed this version of
> Linux myself, and nobody else here touches it.

If you installed it using only RedHat 6 packages, you have have a
modified version of tcsh.  The only way to tell would be to install the
same version of tcsh from original sources and see if the problem goes
away.

> There is nothing in the /usr directory besides other directories. In my
> test, I created blank directories but they didn't get truncated.

Try removing /usr from your path, since it won't help you find any
binaries...  Maybe it truncates the path because it has only
directories?