On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:32:43 +0900, James Britt
<jamesunderbarb / neurogami.com> wrote:
> Mauricio FernŠŌdez wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 02:50:09AM +0900, James Britt wrote:
> > I am very interested in special needs as far as packaging is concerned;
> > one of the reasons why more than 140 libs/apps have been packaged for
> > RPA so far was to make sure that rpa-base could handle them.
>
> In this case, the user should be able to decide where launch.rb ends up.
>   One option is to leave it in the same directory from where the
> installation is done.  Another (which I prefer) is to prompt the user
> for a directory, with some default value (either the current dir, or the
> OS equivalent of  /usr/local/bin).  The main code can just go into some
> dir in the Ruby load path.

In FreeBSD ports, we generally install a .sample file for the stuff
the user is supposed to change, and then the user can copy that file.
This way, a deinstall and reinstall will not mess up anything the user
has configured.

The other option is to do a 3-way merge, mixing together the changes
the user has done and that's been done in RPA (like 'cvs update'
does).

Writing a special merge system for just this package seems like
overkill to me.  Also, asking the user where to install stuff instead
of having them do a copy from a .sample file sounds fairly
inconvenient - it would block having multiple copies etc.

Eivind.
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?