On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 02:50:09AM +0900, James Britt wrote:
> So, as a gem, installing catapult into the gem dirs is fine, as running
> Catapult via some caller script (e.g. launch.rb ) is arguably the better
> way to run it.  But I don't think that launch.rb should go into a gems
> dir; $HOME/bin or /usr/local/bin or something along those lines seems
> more appropriate.
>
> I can write a simple installer script that does this, I just haven't
> been motivated.  But I don't think gems or rpa manages selective
> placement of apps based on user choice.   I believe they treat
> everything as something to install in the Ruby libs|gems directories.

rpa-base doesn't force you to install into Ruby's libdir or a "gem-style"
directory: it can manage files in arbitrary paths under $prefix (typically
/usr or /usr/local). Also, RubyGems addresses this issue by creating
a stub in bin/. So what are exactly your needs; just placing launch.rb
into $prefix/bin or equivalent?

I am very interested in special needs as far as packaging is concerned;
one of the reasons why more than 140 libs/apps have been packaged for
RPA so far was to make sure that rpa-base could handle them.

--
Hassle-free packages for Ruby?