Hello Austin,

AZ> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 03:40:03 +0900, Curt Hibbs <curt / hibbs.com> wrote:
>> Lothar Scholz wrote:

>> > I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I like to have many things
>> > included in the installer. I install ruby quite often and also on
>> > a lot of machines that don't have internet access.
>> >
>> > So i vote for having at least a good amout of batteries included.
>> I think you can have this both ways.

>> When you try to install a RubyGem, it first looks for it on your local
>> machine and if its not found it then looks at the remote repository.

>> You could easily create yourself a CD repository of the stuff you like to
>> install and let RubyGems install from there.

>> That being said, there will probably always be a certain core that is always
>> included (which would all the stuff that you cannot "uncheck" from he
>> install dialog).

AZ> ...except that a lot of things aren't available as Gems (or RPA) and
AZ> quite often the compiles don't work out of the box.

One more question: Is the build system now fixed so that there is a
little chance that binary extensions really compile ?
If i remeber right the system uses the very very bad UNIX like
assumption that everything is compiled on the local machine. So items
like: CONFIG["srcdir"] = "Z:/work_ruby/win32/ruby-1.8.2_preview3_patched"
in the generated "rbconfig.rb" makes it very hard to compile
extensions on your own machine.