"*Me thinks Apple should replace applescript with Ruby. One can
can imagine the growth explosion from that. Or, would it be a bad thing?*"

That was in the back of my mind ...  Consider the (revised) bug report
submitted.   Do the same yourself and maybe they'll listen to two of
us :)

Or in Applescript syntax:
"tell language applescript go boom".