set foldlevel (I use foldlevel=2). As for markers, don't use them, use
syntax based folding. I dunno where I found the file (as it was real
difficult to find) but if anyone wants the custom RubyVim files with
support for syntax based folding and matchit support (% for def, end,
etc.) let me know, I can email them to you.