--nextPart4963043.LhNTc3DIMM

On Monday 08 November 2004 10:40, Dmitri Borodaenko wrote:
> YAML, and it works like a charm except for invalid XML: when there is
> something like a loose unescaped '<' character, it just raises
> ParseException with no obvious reference to the guilty character. Is
> it possible to get more useful info out of REXML, or should I use some
> other XML validator?

REXML saves information about the state of the parse stream, including line=
=20
numbers and the reason for the exception.  However, this is admittedly pret=
ty=20
weak; the problem being, of course, what constitutes a "line".  However,=20
REXML tries to be good about saving parse state, and some of this is captur=
ed=20
in the Source class and repeated in the ParseException.  I'd recommend=20
looking at the Source class to see if any of the methods help you.

The main problem right now is that REXML uses '<' as the line separator, as=
 it=20
is the only reasonable way to parse open-ended streams.

The short version is that all I can say is that I'm struggling with how to=
=20
improve the error reporting of REXML while maintaining reasonable efficienc=
y,=20
and I haven't come up with a good solution yet.

=2D-=20
### SER  =20
### Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|XML|Java|Ruby|Aikido
### http://www.germane-software.com/~ser  jabber.com:ser  ICQ:83578737=20
### GPG: http://www.germane-software.com/~ser/Security/ser_public.gpg