--nextPart4963043.LhNTc3DIMM

On Monday 08 November 2004 10:40, Dmitri Borodaenko wrote:
> YAML, and it works like a charm except for invalid XML: when there is
> something like a loose unescaped '<' character, it just raises
> ParseException with no obvious reference to the guilty character. Is
> it possible to get more useful info out of REXML, or should I use some
> other XML validator?

REXML saves information about the state of the parse stream, including line
numbers and the reason for the exception.  However, this is admittedly pretty
weak; the problem being, of course, what constitutes a "line".  However,
REXML tries to be good about saving parse state, and some of this is captured
in the Source class and repeated in the ParseException.  I'd recommend
looking at the Source class to see if any of the methods help you.

The main problem right now is that REXML uses '<' as the line separator, ast
is the only reasonable way to parse open-ended streams.

The short version is that all I can say is that I'm struggling with how to
improve the error reporting of REXML while maintaining reasonable efficiency,
and I haven't come up with a good solution yet.

--
### SER
### Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|XML|Java|Ruby|Aikido