On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Zev Blut wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 02:23:40 +0900, <Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> i thought i was the only one still using amrita!  development seems to
>> have
>> died on it, but i still find it's feature set the richest and the
>> code/template separation the cleanest of the engines i've tried.
>
> It appears that Amrita has new maintainers and that the site has moved
> to here: http://amrita.sourceforge.jp/index.html
>
> I too am pretty enamored with it.  I especially like the parts template
> addition, which I find to be quite powerful.

cool - thanks for the pointer - i'd missed that.

>> what's your take on the current crop of template engines vs. amrita?
>> i've
>> been out of web development for a bit but am starting a new project and
>> trying
>> to make an assesment of the ruby tools out there.
>
> My biggest complaint with Amrita is that is its' performance.  Although, for
> my current needs that has not been too much of a problem.  I have tried to
> look into the other engines, but as soon as start to see custom tags or
> erb/asp/jsp like syntax I tend to stop my investigation.  I guess I have
> spoiled myself with Amrita :-) Although, I could be swayed if some of the
> other template engines have something like parts template.

my thoughts too.  i hate adding yet another markup to html.  i haven't used
css too extensively, but i wonder if that's where the amriata paradigm would
fall down.  using class and id (and possibly deleteing them) could confuse
things - but my limited usage suggested it was o.k..  i seem to recall there
was a setting that left the class/id attributes untouched.  anyone else with
amrita/css experience?

regards.

-a