Hans Fugal wrote:
> Dave Burt wrote:
>
>> Is this something you would find useful? Jamis? Others?
>

> Jamis actually wrote a GEDCOM parser once, which you can find online. He
> recently rewrote it in response to some questions I had about it (and/or
> my prodding?), and he's talked about putting it on rubyforge. It's quite
> slick, much slicker than his original one if you've seen it. It's
> callback-based, and doesn't do any validation at this point. I've
> tinkered along the road to making a validating parser based on his that
> produces a populated object model (a la DOM) but it's quite a bit more
> work than just parsing. That would also be useful though, so if working
> on this kind of thing is interesting to you I say let's collaborate.
>
> I for one am interested in generating interesting wall charts, e.g.
> GEDCOM->SVG->PostScript.

Hans, have you seen http://www.onepagegenealogy.com? It's what
eventually came from that research you were doing.

As for my GEDCOM parser, if I have a chance next week I'll register a
RubyForge project. Might be a good place to collect various genealogical
tools, including any DOM-based implementation that comes around.

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu