On Nov 7, 2004, at 13:26, James Britt wrote:
> > If it's a method, why not make it a method?
>
> class Foo
>   attr_reader :bar
> end
> f = Foo.new
> methods = f.methods - Object.methods
> p methods  # ["bar"]
>
> Ruby seems to think I've defined a method.

James:

I probably wrote the book that gave you you this information: I really
don't need you telling me back :)

If the distinction between attributes and methods is significant to
you, then you are losing clarity in your code by using attributes when
you want them documented as methods. That is, you want the users of
your documentation to think of these things as methods, but you don't
care that readers of the code will see them as attributes. That feels
sloppy to me, and that's why I asked why you wouldn't want to type them
in as methods.

Cheers

Dave