--nextPart12660727.lXafljQF0z

On Saturday 06 November 2004 20:03, James Britt wrote:
> For example, I've read complaints concerning Ruby's speed in processing
> large XML files. =A0 REXML is pure Ruby, and the speed just can't match a
> C-based parser.
>
> So what if REXML, or just parts of it, were re-written in C? =A0Fair game?

=46unny you should mention that. =A0On my list of things to do with REXML i=
s to=20
rewrite some of the critical sections in C and see how it fairs. =A0There a=
re a=20
couple of classes that consume a fair chunk of the parsing time, and that=20
haven't changed much in the past couple years. =A0The only thing I'm really=
 not=20
looking forward to are the inevitable problems that come with C code, such =
as=20
memory leaks, buffer overflow bugs, and portability issues -- all of which=
=20
I'm by now used to not having to worry about since I've been using high lev=
el=20
languages for the past ten years.

Anyway, I've got another XPath rewrite in the works, RelaxNG validation abo=
ut=20
halfway done, and a number of bug fixes to do, and we lost a hard drive on=
=20
the server last week, so it may be a little while until I get around to it.

=2D-=20
### SER  =20
### Deutsch|Esperanto|Francaise|Linux|XML|Java|Ruby|Aikido
### http://www.germane-software.com/~ser  jabber.com:ser  ICQ:83578737=20
### GPG: http://www.germane-software.com/~ser/Security/ser_public.gpg