These are interesting suggestions, but miss the point.  VNC and SSH
need to be installed because not all machines are going to have 'em.
A USB Key or CD works, but requires that they be synched.  I
understand that a strong security model would need to be in place, and
that is something the environment would provide.

Here's an example of what I want to do.  I'm at my brother-in-laws who
just bought one of Bill Gates' silly $100 internet machine and a cable
modem.  He starts messing with his Media Center 2005 PC and leaves me
with the brain dead browser box.  Shoot, I need to get some work done,
so I log into my "mobile development" system via https.  My project is
an e-commerce site built with Ruby.  From this system I can run tests,
edit code, build, and deploy the entire
project.  No VNC, no SSH, no USB keys or CDs.  If I could work this
way, I wouldn't need to lug a laptop between work and home.  I could
do development anywhere I find a browser.  Even my mobile phone.