On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:28:57AM +0900, Kujawa, Greg wrote:
> 1) It's all about the oil. - If you add up the cost of the Iraqi War it
> would've been far cheaper to just pay more for any possible OPEC price
> gouging that might have taken place in the future. It's not like we're
> getting oil for free after defeating Saddam are we? And the price of crude
> oil on the American market has other factors involved that are often
> overlooked.

I can't let this slide either. The oil is just a means to an end. The end is
to transfer wealth from ordinary American citizens to corporations like
Halliburton. The administration wanted this money to go to their friends and
supporters, not to OPEC. And the more money is spent the better; this was
likely why the oil refineries weren't guarded by enough troops to prevent
sabotage and destruction. AfaIk (sorry, no numbers) refinery output is still
well below pre-war levels.

As the administration is hard at work to shift the tax burden from the super
rich to the middle class (repeal of the estate tax, anyone?), this unnecessary
war will have cost the American (middle class) taxpayer $200,000,000,000.00 by
the end of the year.

Now, let's get back to discussing our favorite language.

--
Jos Backus                       _/  _/_/_/      Sunnyvale, CA