Hi there,
  I'm working on the networking core for a client/server, and am just working on
familiarizing myself with the Ruby classes for this.  I have a very basic client
that would hopefully connect to a server and just display what it receives.  But it
just doesn't work without me sending information.  Like this:

require 'socket'
s = TCPSocket.open( 'localhost', 80 )
while TRUE
  print s.gets
end

I know it isn't quite proper with the endless loop, but it is only there for testing
purposes.  But it just doesn't work.  This, however, works, assuming I hit enter
each time I want a line, instead of just displaying everything it receives:

require 'socket'
s = TCPSocket.open( 'localhost', 80 )
while gets
  s.write $_
  print s.gets
end
s.close

Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong here?  I have tried several different
types of servers in addition to the web server - all to the same result.  If I have
it so I hit enter each time and write it to the socket before I do the s.gets, it
works.  But I just can't get it to do a simple "go to the server and dump what you
see" sort of thing.

  Alex McHale