> But if you must... why not write a filter in Ruby to do this?  It could
> be an interesting exercise.

Well, exercise-wise, I could probably write something external that did
reformatting.  I did something like that with Java once, but found that the
difficulty was in dealing with all the various code words, constructs, and
levels, etc....  Everytime I thought I had it figured out, I came upon
another syntax structure that broke it.  Fix one, break two.

By trying this before with Java, I have come to the conclusion that this
type of feature, if done properly, needs to be written into the actual
language parser.  I have taken a look at the Ruby parser (assuming I was
looking at the correct code) and I don't think my skills are up to snuff on
tackling that.

Unfortunately, I can only discuss the idea here.  I have to hope that
somebody else might take it upon themselves to complete it.  (Hopefully
somebody who can do this kind of thing in their sleep.)  Such a person might
whip it out in the time it takes me to simply read it through once.
Everybody has their strengths - as much as I would like this feature, it
isn't my strength.  Trading stock futures on the other hand......well,
that's what *I* do in my sleep.

chris