I agree with the other posters who think this is perhaps an
inappropriate topic to discuss on ruby-talk. However I believe political
discussion is important, these are our lives and our children's lives
and their children's lives we're talking about here. So I'll weigh in.

I live in NYC. I lost friends at 911. I wake up everyday knowing that I
live in the number one target of terrorism. So naturally, I'm for the
"War on Terrorism", though I find that phrase's vagueness scary. I'm for
strength, for taking the fight to them before they bring it to us.

I was deeply afraid after 911, and I still am. I don't think I'm the
only one that shudders when I see a plane fly over the city. I was
scared of WMD, and I still am. I know they're pointed at me, and my
friends, and my countrymen, even my friends abroad. I was told Saddam
Hussein was a threat, although it seemed to me that he was contained. I
was told that he had WMD, all kinds of weapons, that he could use
directly against me, my family, and my country, or that he could give to
terrorists to use against us. I was told this by my President, by my
Vice President, even by Colin Powell. I figured they had better intel
then me, that their claims were based on facts, that this stuff was too
important to skew and falsify. So I supported the war on Iraq, because I
was scared.

And now I am ashamed. Ashamed that I was so easily manipulated, so naive
to believe what my president told me at face value. That's right, I am
ashamed that I trusted my President. And worse, I am ashamed that I am
partly responsible for the deaths of US soldiers, many of them my own
age. Like many Americans, I backed a war that I would never have picked
up a gun to fight in. I am ashamed of myself.

It's time to face the truth. The President and his administration took
advantage of our nation's fear after 911 to push through an agenda that
they apparently had well before 911. And I do not feel safer because of
it. In fact I feel more afraid. I know the WMD are still out there,
though certainly not in Iraq, and I wonder what we're doing to actually
find them. I know Bin Laden and Al Qaeda are still out there, and I'm
sickened to think that their  messages probably resonate louder now.

The War on Iraq seems to me to be a code smell in the War on Terrorism.
The rot of the Iraq war seems to have gotten so out of hand, that I'm
not sure it can be refactored. But I have to believe it can, there is
too much on the line.

We need a new Lead Architect, +1 for Kerry.

Sincerely,

Gianni Jacklone