> * rpa and/or rubygems installed by default.

This would be a bad for anyone to do. When you include a library into
the base, it is diifucult giving out version changes unless you wish to
override and break other programs. If the api changes, etc. One good
exampe of this is SOAP4r, I've been using it for the past 6 months, and
I have to override the base installation becuase it is in the base
already. NaHi just can't simply throw it in stable-snapshot and people
download the version. It has to most likely be with releases for the
sake of compatibility and stability.

Neither packaging systems should be included at this time. rpa-base
actually upgrades itself, but has no function to upgrade the system to
tell the new software is installed. Like on most BSDs the software is
taken off at uninstall by a series of checks and deletes. If there is a
new version downloaded, the md5 sum of the file will be wrong and much
will go wrong.

David Ross
--
Hazzle free packages for Ruby?