Don't know whether this discussion would be better here or on the email
list.  My searches haven't found a previous discussion on this topic -
appologies if there was one.
---
I find Ruby to very a very enjoyable language.  My other liking is Python.
Particularly enjoyable to me is how the Tab style indenting works. I find
that not needing braces or "end" statements *dramatically* cuts down on the
screen space occupied by code.  Instead of 40 lines with 10 or 15
braces/"ends", I have 40 lines of full code.  Nice.  It reads easier and is
easier to work with (my opinion.)

I'm aware that there are many people who don't like the Python style and
that is OK.  I respect that.  One of the things I have noticed about Ruby is
that it accomodates different styles in a way that doesn't break anything
and allows people to (within bounds) use what they like.

My question for all is, why not create an option in Ruby that would allow
the parser to accept code that used indentation instead of "end" statements?
Would this be really all that hard?  I, myself, couldn't do it, but I get
the feeling that a relatively simple change to the parser would make it
possible.

Specifically, I would envision some code that goes before the current parser
code that simply reads the file and uses the indentation levels to insert
"end"s where needed.  Then the code would continue on to the normal parser.
All of this would be turned on/off with a switch or setting.  Those who
don't like it never need to use it.

How about it?  Does anybody think this is doable and are there others who
would like to see it?

chris