Hello,

I'm using Darwinports for ruby and some other libraries like
ruby-postgresql, mainly for its similarity to freebsd ports (I'm using
freebsd on production servers) and community around Darwinports. And
gems for other packages. And I can say it works quick nad painless for
me.

Fink seems little bit "unordered" for myself, but it's quite long time
ago I looked at it. For comparing RPA and Gems you should look to some
older threads on this mailing list
(http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/114892
just for first look).

Hope it helps.