Hi all!

Ruby newbie here.

I'd like to install and work with Ruby 1.8.x on MacOS X.
I have found
 http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh
and
 http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000199.html
to be helpful.

It appears that my options are
1) download the source and compile it myself
2) download a binary and install it
3) install via darwinports
4) install via fink

After installation I believe I can add ruby libraries
1) manually
2) as Ruby Gems
3) from the RAA
4) via darwinports if using 3 above
5) via fink if using 4 above

I imagine there are a number of trade offs to the above approaches.
Also, there appears to be overlap between (darwinports|fink) and gems
and RAA. As I write this darwinports appears to have a more active
ruby community, judging from the fact that it offers 58 ports versus
16 for fink.

I'd like things to be painless and relatively automatic. By automatic, I
mean that installing and especially upgrading libraries should be
quick and painless.

Can someone share their experience?

TIA
Steven Marcus