trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
> Election Day is upon us!
>
> If you don't mind I would like to get a feel for the number of U.S. Bush vs.
> Kerry supporters in the Ruby community. I'm doing this in part as a way to
> weight the national election day results against the people I interact with
> everyday.
>
> If you're not a citizen of U.S. I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions too,
> just please state you're not a citizen.

I shouldn't answer this at all, as some of my comrades here will (I know)
disapprove of this whole thread.

The main reason I'm answering is that I'm tired of keeping quiet. For more
months than I can count, I have felt surrounded by people (online and off)
who not only believed the opposite from me, but (which is the worst part)
*assumed* that I agreed with them.

I am a Bush supporter. I don't agree with everything he says and does, not
by a long shot, but the more I look at Kerry, the more I like Bush.

Having said that, my opinion of people on here will not change. Why should
it? I already knew that a large percentage of them disagreed with me.

I have close friends offline and even relatives who disagree with me. They
are still my friends and relatives.

There are so many interesting asymmetries in American politics. It has
always seemed to me that the two major parties have their own strengths
and weaknesses. The liberal wing has a gift of PR and media-consciousness.
So much discourse is framed in their terms because they coined those terms.

I used to wonder how anyone could deny a liberal bias in the media. One
answer, of course, is that very few people actually perceive themselves
as extremists. Whatever group controls the media gets the chance to
define "normalcy" in some sense; they see their own views as moderate or
centrist. Naturally anything else will appear "off center" to them.

You'd be surprised how many of the standard characterizations of Republicans
I disagree with. They are not the party of the rich or the party of the white
male; they are not on the whole "haters," bigots, or anti-environmentalists.
But the "dictionaries" of our society tend to say so -- using that word
metaphorically -- given that the majority of the dictionary-writers are of
the opposite party.

But I have said too much. Perhaps I will wish later I had hit Cancel instead
of Send. But here goes.

In the interests of keeping this group on-topic, please reply off-list
or (preferably) not at all. I'll try to post something about Ruby now, to
help offset this off-topic post.

Hal Fulton