On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Dave Thomas wrote:

> TAKAHASHI Masayoshi <maki / inac.co.jp> writes:
>
> > Expat is shared library like gdbm, Tk, GTk or GNU readline.
> > These libraries is not included in Ruby core. Should we
> > include expat into Ruby core?
>
> If that's what it takes, I'd say 'yes' (although during the build
> process, perhaps we should look for an already installed and
> compatible expat and use that if available).

That would be my major concern -- the implications for the build
process, and for tracking what platforms Ruby would build on.  And
keeping (or not keeping) the Ruby distribution in sync with expat
releases.

> If the stuff included in the 'ext' directory is chosen based on need,
> then I'd rank XML/UConv support over Tcl/Tk and dbm/gdbm/sdbm support.

I would too, probably -- though then again the Ruby distribution
doesn't actually include Tcl/Tk themselves, so the issues (such as
they are) may be different.

David

--
David Alan Black